We are committed to conducting our activities and operations in line with current legislation and best environmental practice, seeking continual improvement and innovation within our businesses and activities.
printed.com has implemented an internal environmental policy to ensure it meets these aims. The policy means the company will:
- Set and monitor environmental objectives and targets and continually strive to improve;
- Reduce waste and the consumption of resources and ensure unavoidable waste is recycled, reused or recovered, where possible, or disposed of responsibly;
- Implement procedures to detect and, where possible, prevent pollution through accidental emissions or effluent discharges;
- Foster a sense of responsibility for the environment among our staff and ensure they act in accordance with our policy;
- Monitor and, where possible, reduce the impact of our activities on the local and general environment;
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
printed.com was shortlisted this year for the industry leading Print Week Environmental Company of the Year 2011 award.
Externally, printed.com has secured ISO 14001, an internationally accepted standard that sets out a framework designed to address the balance between maintaining profitability and reducing environmental impact. We are also accredited by the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), an international organisation dedicated to promoting responsible management of the world's forests, at both of our sites to demonstrate our commitment to the environment. This means that every single sheet of paper we use is FSC approved, and for every tree we use another is planted.
We also have an extensive waste recycling process in place at our printing facilities. printed.com's Environmental Specialist, Bernard O'Connor, explains: "We are demonstrating that we are being environmentally responsible. We have the environment accreditations that most customers require, but we are also demonstrating that we are being responsible and accountable for all of our waste streams throughout the production of their work."
printed.com has looked in depth at the disposal of its mixed paper, cardboard, aluminium drums, palettes, reel tubes and plastic reel end caps, and is currently achieving in excess of 99% recycled waste at its Newcastle site. "When I appraise potential suppliers, their environmental characteristics are evaluated and form part of the selection process," O'Connor adds.